NY State Real Estate License Reciprocity

Written by Kacie Goff

If you have a real estate license in another state and want to break into New York’s market, you might be in luck. The New York Department of State has reciprocity agreements established with nine different states. If you live and work in one of them, your real estate license might be valid in New York.

Below, you can find out if your out-of-state real estate license is valid in New York through a reciprocity agreement — and all the rules that apply. 

General rules about reciprocity

First off, your license needs to be current and you need to both live and work in the state with the reciprocity agreement. The New York Department of State will check that your residence and business addresses are both located within state boundaries. 

Even if you meet those parameters, you don’t automatically get a New York real estate license just because your state has a reciprocity agreement in place. You’ll still need to apply. That means sending in the application with the relevant fee ($55 for salespeople, $155 for brokers). When you do, make sure you check the box that says “Reciprocity State of [Blank]” — and fill in the blank with your state. 

With New York licensees can use the state’s online portal, reciprocity licensees need to mail in the paper application form. You can find the salesperson one here and the broker one here

You also need to submit an irrevocable consent form.  

Salesperson reciprocity

If you’re a salesperson and your state has a salesperson reciprocity agreement with New York, it can still be a little tricky to get your reciprocal license in place. Specifically, your home state broker will also need to have a New York broker’s license and sponsor your reciprocity application. 

States with reciprocity agreements


New York only allows Arkansas broker reciprocity. You’ll need to have had your broker license for two years to be eligible. 


Colorado broker and associate broker licensees are eligible for reciprocity. If you’re an associate broker, use the salesperson application and pay the $55 fee. 


New York allows both broker and salesperson reciprocal licenses for Connecticut real estate professionals. 


Similarly, Georgia brokers and salespeople are eligible for reciprocal licenses, provided they got their licenses by passing the Georgia real estate exam. 


Like Arkansas, Massachusetts’s reciprocity agreement only includes brokers who have been licensed for at least two years. 


Mississippi has the same rules as Massachusetts and Arkansas: only brokers with two years or more of licensure are eligible. 


New York offers reciprocal licenses for both brokers and salespeople, but they need at least two years of licensure to be eligible. 


Pennsylvania’s reciprocity agreement extends to both brokers and salespeople. 

West Virginia

New York also allows reciprocal broker and salespeople licenses for West Virginia real estate professionals. 

Clearly, the rules vary from state to state. It might be helpful to review the reciprocity information on your home state’s website to understand what, exactly, you need to do to get your reciprocal real estate license in New York.